Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Katrina Van Tassel's Shocking Confession!

     In light of True Review's recommendation of Firbolg's ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK: DARK MUSES, SPOKEN SILENCES ANTHOLOGY, I am reblogging this about how I came to write my story.

TRUE REVIEW

I can't think of a story I enjoyed writing more than this one!

I was delighted to be a part ofFirbolg's Enter at Your Own Risk, Dark Muses, Spoken Silences.

I was to reimagine the character, Katrina Van Tassel (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow). Wow! I thought. I'll get into her skin and become Katrina.

I enjoy writing first person because (and I've said this before in posts) I studied acting many years ago. I was taught Method Acting--wherein you become the part you are playing. I do that with my writing.

I have some short stories that are third person, but my longer fiction is always first. It works best for me.
It also works for Anne Rice. Here's what she had to say about first person:

'First-person narrators is the way I know how to write a book with the greatest power and chance of artistic success.'— Anne Rice

First person gives me the story. I get it through my character's eyes. Katrina's Confessionis what I came up with. She explains exactly what happened to Icabod Crane and reveals a few more things besides. I wrote it in the style of Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

This is a unique anthology. I'm in exceptional company. Each writer has put a spin on a classic gothic story! The writers are:
B.E. Scully, Timothy Hurley, Blaze McRob, T. Fox Dunham, Gregory Norris, Mike Chinn, Jon Michael Kelley.

Alex Scully (Editor), Gary Braunbeck (Introduction)

From their blurb:

"In Firbolg Publishing’s third volume in the Enter at Your Own Risk series, ten modern storytellers reimagine the mysterious characters lurking within four classics of Gothic literature.

As you read the original stories, a sinister whisper drifts in on a cold chill. But there are other voices beneath the whisper. You can hear them crawling out of the growing darkness. Then the whispers become a scream...!"
Some of the most enduring masterpieces of Gothic fiction are as intriguing for the stories they don’t tell as for those they do.

The voices hidden in the wall of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Black Cat;” the secrets buried beneath the earth of Sleepy Hollow in Washington Irving’s legendary Headless Horseman tale; the dreams of a monster and an ancient book with a life of its own in H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Call of Cthulhu;” and stories that reveal Polidori’s hypnotic, archetypal Vampyre as far more than what he first appears to be.

In Firbolg Publishing’s third volume in the Enter at Your Own Risk series, ten modern storytellers reimagine the mysterious characters lurking within four classics of Gothic literature.

As you read the original stories, a sinister whisper drifts in on a cold chill. But there are other voices beneath the whisper. You can hear them crawling out of the growing darkness. Then the whispers become a scream...
With an introduction from acclaimed author Gary Braunbeck, Dark Muses, Spoken Silences invites you into the hidden shadows of four of the most famous dark fiction tales ever told.

Are you brave enough to enter?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment