Saturday, March 8, 2014

How Do You Take Your Gothic Fiction?




The second in my Gothic fiction posts. This is updated. Let's remember Gothic Fiction is GOTHIC. Please follow the link to my first post. 

So think a minute, how do YOU take your Gothic fiction? I like mine with a side order of darkest horror, my worst nightmares dished up with enough horror to become my readers' worst nightmares!


Gothic fiction has been around a long time. Its roots go back to the 18th Century at least. There's Walpole and Radcliffe that started it all. And what about Mary Shelley and Polidori, pulling the rug out from under Byron and Percy during that fantastic time at Villa Diodati and penning Frankenstein and The Vampyre?!

Edgar Allan Poe gave us stories to treasure and be haunted by forever. He extracted from his own tortured soul that which tortures us still to this day. And the Brontes: Charlotte and Emily giving us love and madness, child ghosts haunting desolate moors. They wrote about characters we would never forget because we could never forget them!

I have always loved Gothic fiction and have written here many times of my desire to write for today's reader; to darken it up even more!

My fiction is not easy on the heart. It will frighten you and shock you. You might never be the same after reading it. But you know what? Maybe that's good. Perhaps I am doing my job. I'm not just dishing out novels to make up series, I'm giving you a piece of my soul. I'm telling you, if you care to read my work, the dark side is evil! It always was. Satan is wicked, his demons are his servants.
No reward can await those who forfeit heaven for a taste of hell.

Most crucially of all because I write vampire fiction, I portray my vampires as VAMPIRES, yes they may be capable of love but it is tortured love. They are not happy little fairies prancing about enchanted forests. They do not inhabit a pleasant world, if they are good it is because "they do less evil than themselves."

That quote by the way is from The House on Blackstone Moor.

If you are a mature reader and want to read Gothic fiction that portrays evil as being evil, then please check out my books and short stories. If not, go in peace and with my blessing. We are all different and that is good because diversity enriches the genre!

This review from a reader for my latest release, I, BATHORY, QUEEN OF BLOOD wrote this:




“I'm hooked on Carole Gill!! I prefer more details about a Vampires life, knowing they're Satan's creatures, and love that this author portrays them as they are!!! Intense read and that there's real history in a her novels, makes it even more interesting!! If you're offended by language, sex, bondage, and savagery, look to the Chic lit on the paranormal!!! Carole Gill is phenomenal!!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment